AS media studies - the beginning

During my AS media studies year, I learnt a variety of skills and ideas through the theory classes and practical experience. By having these skills I was able to complete the coursework to a high standard as my knowledge was complete and I was confident in the work that I was doing because of the thorough research and planning I had completed before producing and editing the coursework and preliminary tasks.



In the practical work completed in the AS media studies, I learnt a variety of techniques (such as shot reverse shot, editing using the mac computers, etc) which I then practiced and perfected with time. This enabled me to understand, identify and use the techniques which was shown to me and then use in other situations, such as the final exam when we analyzed a Dr. Who extract. All the practical techniques that I learnt helped me to complete my coursework and gave me new knowledge that I would have been lost without (especially using the mac computers). By having copies of notes about how to do this shot or how to do this on the editing software helped me to remember and learn what to do by memory but also to try other things that I had not been shown how to do but was on the worksheets. When producing the coursework, there was a lot of trial and error but I learnt from the mistakes and felt good with the end result when I saw the final product that I had produced. I now feel confident in moving these skills onto A2 coursework and develop them further with the new products we will be producing.


In the theory classes during AS media, I learned more about the theory to the techniques I had used in the coursework and preliminary tasks, and also gained more understanding in the codes and conventions, theories and stereotypes within the media. This gave me a more thorough knowledge of the media I would experience when out and about and that I would be able to understand why they had used the tag line or where they put the picture in a poster. Also, during our theory classes, we gained knowledge of the audiences and genres of products through the theories again (for example, Blumner and Katz's uses and gratifications theory). I also found that all the micro and macro elements could be placed into catorgories or genres which made learning them easier for the exam. By having learnt all the theory behind the practical it enabled to plan more efficiently as I know what shots work together well and what effects I could use and how they would appeal to audiences and fit the different stereotypes in the media - this will also be helpful for my A2 coursework as I can apply the same knowledge to the planning and develop it further with my own individual research of techniques.


As always, I have strengths and weaknesses in my production skills as everybody has and I find that mine vary dependent on the technology I was using. I found my strengths were in the research, planning and filming aspects of the production of the product whereas my weaknesses were in the editing sides of the work. I found that I worked well using the camera, microphone, and other technology in the production of the crime film unlike the mac computers used for the editing (which I was more reliant on the worksheets given by Harvinder).


On the mac computers, I was not very good at using the editing software installed (Final Cut). I found myself constantly referring to the worksheets and using a lot of trial and error with the effects I used. However, the use of garageband on the mac computers was slightly better in terms of me being more competent with the software (which was probably through my musical background and using music software before) and it was quite easy to produce the music within the time limit we had. I would really like to get better with Final Cut on the mac computers which I hope I will do in A2 media.


On the windows computers which I used for typing up any written work (research and planning) I was really competent because I interact regularly with this type of computer and its software - which I feel came across in the presentation of my final submission. I am competent with the software installed on these computers and used many of the windows applications such as Word, Powerpoint and Excel for the planning and research of my coursework. I would like to improve my skills on Powerpoint in order to be more creative in presenting work and also to make it a little more interactive.

From completing AS media, I feel that I worked really well in completing the tasks set by Harvinder and thus doing well in the final exam. I plan on doing everything I did last time but in more detail when it comes to A2 coursework and preliminary tasks. I also plan on making more notes in class and enjoying my time in college doing A2 media by working with a range of people and developing my ability to work with different people whilst creating a product. From AS media, I have learnt a lot, from camera angles, showing and identifying stereotypes and that there are different codes and conventions for every genre and product.

At AS media studies I achieved an 'A' grade overall and I aim to have the same grade at the end of A2.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment